Skip to main content

Scroll down the page to review all the FAQs related to the 1098-T tax form, or use the Table of Contents above to jump to a question. Contact the UCO Customer Service team using the Contact Page with questions about the 1098-T.

Availability and Delivery

When is the 1098-T form available?

For students who cannot access the Student Center or want to have their form mailed, forms will be mailed by January 31 following the year being reported. The forms are mailed to the Student Home address on file. If you are a current student, we encourage you to take advantage of receiving the form electronically. You may elect to receive the form electronically in the 1098-T Tax Form tile in One.IU

Forms are always available electronically before they are mailed out. Accessing the form electronically saves time, eliminates the risk of your 1098-T form being lost in the mail, and safeguards your personal information.

To consent to receive the form electronically:

  1. Access the 1098-T Tax Form tile in One.IU. You will be prompted to enter your credentials and DUO authenticate.
  2. Click Start.
  3. Click Grant Consent at the bottom of the window.
  4. Review the terms of the agreement. Check the agreement box and click Submit.

A notification will be sent to your university email.

How do I verify my address to ensure my form is sent to the right place?

1098-Ts are sent to the Student Home Address on file as of December 31 of the tax year of issue. To review and update your address on file, review your information in the Personal Information tile in One.IU.

How do I submit or update my Social Security Number?

The SSN/Educational Tax Credit Verification tile in One.IU is the most secure way to submit or update your Social Security Number. Follow the steps below to submit your information.

  • Access the SSN/Educational Tax Credit Verification tile.
  • Click Start.
  • Select "I need to add or updated my SSN/ITIN."
  • Enter your SSN or ITIN (International Tax Identification Number) twice as indicated.
  • Verify the submission by pressing Save.

If you are unable to submit your information online it may be submitted via mail. Follow the steps below to submit your information via mail.

I no longer want to receive my 1098-T electronically. How do I revoke my electronic consent?

Students who wish to revoke their consent for electronic delivery of IRS Form 1098-T must complete the Revoke eConsent Request form. UCO Customer Service will send a confirmation of receipt to the student with the date the revocation takes effect. The withdrawal of consent for electronic delivery does not apply to electronically furnished statements issued before the date the withdrawal of consent takes effect.


Why did I not receive a 1098-T?

Indiana University is not required to furnish a 1098-T for the following reasons:

  • Students who take classes where no academic credit is offered even if the student is otherwise enrolled in a degree program;
  • Students who are nonresident aliens for income tax purposes (unless requested by the student);
  • Students for whom IU does not maintain separate financial account information and whose qualified tuition and related expenses are covered by a formal billing arrangement between the university and either the student's employer or a governmental entity, such as the Department of Veteran Affairs or the Department of Defense; or
  • Students with Advance College Project (ACP)/Dual Credit Program (DCP) only charges are no longer included in the University's official enrollment count and will not receive a Form 1098-T.

My last semester was Spring of the current tax year. Am I going to receive a 1098-T form for the current tax year?

Indiana University is required to report payments for expenses by calendar year: January 1 to December 31. For most students, tuition charges for the Spring semester of the current tax year are posted, and often paid, to the student's account before January 1. Therefore, those payments were stated on the prior year 1098-T form.

Only Spring semester transactions regarding late payments and financial aid posted after January 1 will be stated on the current year 1098-T. Use the Third Party Access page to access your 1098-T form and review the detail transactions page on the last page of the form for all tax years to determine what year a charge was reported.


I am a parent that needs to access a 1098-T. How do I do that?

Per FERPA (Family Education Rights and Privacy Act of 1974), parents have rights to their children's education records but those rights transfer to the child when the child starts college OR reaches the age of 18. IU is required to obtain consent from the student to allow the parent access to their Form 1098-T. Review the Third Party Access page for more information on consent and gaining third party access as a parent.

At Tax Time

What is the EIN for Indiana University?

IU's EIN (Employer Identification Number) is 35-6001673 and is reflected on your 1098-T as the "FILER'S Federal Identification Number."

Is my financial aid reported on the 1098-T form?

Scholarships, grants, waivers, and anything that is not required to be paid back, that are processed through the University are reported in Box 5 on the 1098-T. Loans are not reported on the 1098-T.

Why do spring semester billings appear on my Bursar statement, but no payments, scholarships or grants for the same semester appear on my 1098-T form?

The amounts reported in Box 1 on your 1098-T are based on the calendar year in which they are paid in your student account. As a result, there can be some timing differences that do not necessarily have tax consequences. While your Bursar statement may have shown your following year's Spring billings in the reported calendar year, these amounts may not have been paid until January. IU posts financial aid to the student account 10 days before the start of class in accordance with federal regulations.

What information is contained on the 1098-T form?

Box 1: Payments received for qualified tuition and related expenses. Reflects total payments received from any source for qualified tuition and related expenses less any reimbursements or refunds made during the reported calendar year that relate to those payments received during the calendar year. Review the Qualified Expenses page for additional information.

Box 3: Change in Reporting Methods Box. Shows whether IU changed its method of reporting for the calendar year. IU has changed its method of reporting if the method (payments received or amounts billed) used for the year are different than the reporting method used for the prior year. You should be aware of this change in figuring your education credits. The credits are allowable only for amounts actually paid during the year and not amounts reported as billed, but not paid, during the year.

Box 4: Adjustments made for a prior year. This is for adjustments to tuition for any period prior to January 1, of the reported calendar year. In general, net tuition = Box 1 – Box 4

Box 5: Scholarships or grants. This box reports scholarships and grants, but not loans, posted to your account during the reported calendar year. Scholarships and grants may be paid in cash or may be in the form of direct tuition reductions.

Box 6: Adjustments to scholarships or grants for a prior year. This is for adjustments to scholarships and grants that were granted any time prior to January 1, of the reported calendar year. In general, net grants = Box 6 – Box 5

Box 7: If this box is checked, then at least some amount of tuition is for the academic period January-March of the following year being reported. It is common for a student to register, be billed, and pay tuition for the Spring semester in November or December of the previous year.

Box 8: If this box is checked, then the student has enrolled at least half time (4 units for graduates, 6 units for undergraduates) for at least one semester during the reported calendar year.

Box 9: If this box is checked, then the student is a graduate student or in a credential program at any time during the reported calendar year.

Which tax benefit should I claim? The American Opportunity Credit, the Lifetime Learning Credit, or the Tuition and Fees Deduction?

Unfortunately, there is not a one-size-fits all answer to this question. Start by using the IRS Interactive Tax Assistant. Additionally, consult your tax professional who can help you determine which option(s) you are eligible to take advantage of, and which will reduce your tax liability by the greatest amount.