FNIS Questionnaire Help
This page provides a step-by-step walk through of completing the FNIS questionnaire as a supplier. The FNIS questionnaire is also used by IU employees and students to submit tax information. As such, many of the fields in the questionnaire do not apply to suppliers. The fields highlighted in this guide are required for suppliers. Use the Table of Contents button to the right to jump to a part of the questionnaire.
Before you start, gather the following information:
- Your Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN)
- Your local (U.S.) address, if you have one. Alternatively, the address of the IU department you are working with.
- Your foreign business address. Alternatively, your permanent address.
- Your passport
- Your visa information
- Your I-94 card
- Your DS-2019 form
While completing the FNIS questionnaire, remember to click Save & Continue at the bottom of the page to save your work. Click the "?" button next to a field to view help text.
Step 1: Basic Information
- Enter your name in the appropriate fields. These fields should match how your name is presented on your passport.
- Enter your Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) in the appropriate fields.
- Review the Request an ITIN page for assistance obtaining an ITIN.
- If you have a 10-digit IU employee ID number, enter it in the Institution-Assigned ID Number field. If you do not have an IU ID number, enter your supplier number which is formatted "p########."
- Please enter a Foreign Tax ID, if you have one.
- Enter the name of the IU department you working with in the Department at Institution field.
- Enter the service you performed, for example: speaker, lecturer, or presenter, in the Occupation at Institution field.
Step 2: Individual Information
- Enter your date of birth in the appropriate field.
- In the Telephone and Email Address fields, enter your best contact information.
- The Date First Ever Entered USA field must also be included in your visit history. See Step 5 for additional details.
Step 3: Address Information
- Enter your local, or U.S., address in the USA Local Address fields. If you do not have a local address enter the address of the IU department you are working with.
- Enter your business address in the Foreign Residence Address fields. If you do not have a business address enter your permanent address.
Step 4: Additional Information
- Enter your passport information in the appropriate fields.
- Answer the "Are you also a U.S. citizen?" question as appropriate.
- Select your Country of Tax residence from the drop-down menu.
- Complete the Self-Employment section if you are receiving honorarium or other compensation for services.
- Complete the Other Information section, paying special attention to the following:
- Have you proven to the IRS that you have a closer connection to a foreign country than to the USA?
- Have you submitted an application to become a US lawful permanent resident?
- Do you wish to claim treaty benefits if they are available?
- Residents of some countries may be entitled to reduced tax rates or exemption from tax under a tax treaty between their country and the U.S. IU is required to withhold taxes from your payment if you do not claim or do not qualify for treaty benefits.
- Answer "Yes" to this question if you would like IU to determine if you qualify for tax treaty benefits, or if you are uncertain.
Step 5: Visa/Immigration Status History
The information you provide in this section is extremely important! It determines whether you are a resident or a nonresident for tax purposes, which impacts your tax rate, as well as whether you qualify for tax treaty benefits.
- Begin by clicking Add New Record. Start with your most current, or most recent, visa/immigration information.
- Select your visa from the Immigration Status drop-down menu. Complete the J Subcategory field if necessary.
- In the Primary Purpose of Visit drop-down, select the response which best fits your situation.
- Complete the Tax residence country field as appropriate.
- Enter your visa number in the Visa Number field.
- The First Day in the U.S. in this status field should reflect the date listed on your I-94 Arrival Form.
- Last Day in the U.S. should be the date your visit under the current immigration status will end.
Repeat the steps above until all visits are entered.
Step 6: Confirmation
Click View Data to review your entries prior to submission. You are not able to modify your entries after submission.
- Click Print Data to print the page and sign it. You will be asked to submit this signed version after your information has been reviewed.
- Check the box next to the attestation statement, "The information I have entered is correct and I wish to submit it to my host site."
- Click Finish to submit your information for review.
After Submitting the Questionnaire
You will receive a confirmation email verifying that IU received your information. University Tax Services will review your information and contact you with questions or if they need additional information. This contact will happen via email to the email address listed in your FNIS questionnaire.